Wednesday, July 1, 2009

No Girls Allowed!

Everyone who knows me well, knows that I absolutely love going camping. I love everything about it; sleeping on the hard ground, no showers, finding dirt everywhere, I just love it. I have never demanded that my husband take me home ever when we wake up to rain while camping.

This is why my heart was broken when a friend of ours invited my husband and boys to go backpack camping with him and his boys, no moms/girls allowed! The boys were so excited to go and do what boys do best; play with fire and go to the bathroom outside.

I begged the guys to take me along, I cried, I may have even chased after the minivan as they drove away.

Then I cleaned up the mess they had left in the living room, started a load of laundry, watered the front yard and didn't do the dishes. The rest of the day was mine! I entertained the idea of driving off the island to go shopping, but all I really wanted to do was sew without guilt, mess around on the computer and watch TV. The day went way too fast.

Yesterday I was feeling a little bit more social, so I went out to lunch with my friend Linda, the other abandoned mom, bought strawberries and talked her head off.

The boys came home last evening, tired and smelling like campfire. I let them feel guilty for leaving me out of their fun some more and found out the details of their adventure.

Marcus starved the whole time because he refused to eat the food Bert had packed. He told his dad "Next time you need to bring more food like, candy, cookies, marshmallows, and toast!" Bert doesn't know if there will be a next time for Marcus.

Nathan has counted 30 different mosquito bites all over his body. They bit him through his clothes!

Travis learned what not to do while playing on the bank of a river. He fell in and was in water over his head. Bert had to jump in and save him. When Bert got home he signed off Travis' water safety requirements in his Cub Scout Bear book. There is nothing like learning something the hard way.

Bert learned that he needs to pack more dry clothes for everyone.

Now who had the most fun?

Seriously now, I am so thankful that everyone is OK. Travis didn't want me to find out about his "swim" in the river because he thought I would freak out. Me? Freak? Out? I am only freaking out on the inside right now.

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

YOu can totally come camping with us. I always like the idea of camping, until we actually get there and I can't sleep and have to pee every 5 minutes.

Linda said...

My boys loved it too. They are all ready to go again, soon, very very soon.

Riceslayer said...

Can you actually mark off water safety requirements in his Cub Scout Bear book if he fell in? seems like you would need to at least show some water safety smarts to pass it off :) see ya tomorrow Marla