Monday, December 1, 2008

Confessions of a Den Mother

My friends, I have wanted to share my feelings about Cub Scouts ever since I started my blog a whole month ago. I have been a den mother for almost four years. The reason I am a scout leader is I sort of accidently volunteered to do webelos way back then. As a mother of three sons and no daughters I felt it was my destiny. I really enjoy my calling, except all that outdoorsy, camping stuff, but I delegate that to my husband whenever possible. I love the boys I work with and we have a great time, but there is one thing I really dislike. It's been a killjoy in the delight of scouting. OK, I'm really bearing my soul here, are you ready for my truth?





IT'S






JUST






NOT






CUTE!








I know I've gained some weight since I have become a mother and I know that the camera adds like 50 pounds, but really, I never look cute in my scout shirt! I have yet to see a decent picture of me in my shirt. Is it the color? I usually avoid wearing brown by my face, maybe that's it.




Here are few more examples





Look how big my behind looks in this shirt! I know you are probably thinking it's the mom jeans, but I feel the shirt isn't doing me any favors either.



Here is my shirt tucked in, not good at all!



What am I to do? Am I being too shallow and vain? (don't answer that) I'm not going to ask to be released as a den mother over something as silly as my Scout shirt. Some solutions I've thought of to my dilemma is to make sure I wear lipstick every time I put my shirt on and never have another picture taken! I guess I could also lose some weight and buy a designer neckerchief like Annie.

Thank you for letting me vent. I feel much better now.

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Haha! Too funny!

Have you seen Troop Beverly Hills, with Shelley Long? I used to love that show when I was a kid, and they would made their own fancy uniforms.

Linda said...

You are too funny! You know you look HOT!!

Anonymous said...

Clearly they need to make adult scout shirts our of stretch fabric and with curved side seams and darts. That would fix it all. So no need for release, just write a letter to the scout office. 'Cause that'll help, right?

Unknown said...

I see my name!

I think you have earned the right to make some "alterations" to your uniform.

Flip up the collar, shorten the sleeves be an inch and add some darts.

If the "powers that be" have a problem with it, tell them to find someone else.

Oooooh. I'm such a hard case, aren't I?

J. Baxter said...

This cracks me up. I have actually had the thought go through my mind that I hope I never have to wear one of those shirts.

And if it comes to that (I too have three sons) I'm definitely going to have to sew darts in it or something. I totally feel your pain. A girl should be able to scout AND feel cute at the same time!