Thursday, November 13, 2008

Not Just a Soccer Mom Anymore

I have had at least one son playing soccer every fall for what seems like forever. The fall of 2007, Nathan played on the academy team. We had a lot of fun going to his games, but we were driving a lot. After the long season ended, Bert and I decided Nathan was not going to advance to the next level, the select soccer team. The $900.00 price tag, Sunday games, and more traveling helped make the decision almost easy. I say almost because I knew I would miss hanging out with some of the other soccer moms that I liked.

When school started this year, we encouraged Nathan to join his middle school's cross-country team. He really enjoyed it. The two middle schools in our town compete together, so he got to meet some new kids. I am proud to say, I was able to go to all of his meets. I loved watching the kids run. I admired their perseverance, because I hate to run myself. Some of the meets were held in some lovely locations, where the kids were really running through the countryside, around old barns, up and down hills, over make-shift bridges and in the mud. One of my most memorable moments was during their biggest meet. A 7th grade boy from another school was so much slower than the other boys. By the end of the race, he was way behind everyone else. By the time he showed up near the finish line his team plus many other runners were cheering him on. It really touched me.

Nathan worked hard during the season. His times improved with each race and he had a great time. It was a great opportunity for him to participate as a team member, but to also work on his own individual progress. Great Job Kiddo! (Shhh, don't tell your brothers, but I love you the most)(Erma Bombeck)





Marcus, Travis and Nathan trying to stay warm.



7th Grade boys lining up



Run Nathan Run!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you love when kids do things like cheer for struggling peers. I get tears in my eyes!

Linda said...

You'll always be a soccer mom!

*MARY* said...

I love the legless hoodies picture. You have such a beautiful family.

Unknown said...

What great pics of your boys. I love the one where little brother has his arm around big brother. You can see how much he idolizes him! That's awesome.

And look at your man in his whites. Talk about officer and a gentleman. Woot!

Thanks for visiting me at Anniethology.

Mom Peg said...

Diane, Love seeing pictures of my 3 favorite whidby Island boys. They are awesome. Keep up your blog. Love to keep up with my fellas. Mom Peg